Check out Arenal, a beautiful, active volcano in Costa Rica. Arenal is one of the most active volcanoes in the world.
Welcome to the Ocean
1. Introduce the oceans, provide background information
-Find and label the oceans on a map
-Paper plate activity showing the approximate size of the oceans
2. Salt Water Activities
-Experiment 1: How do we know that the ocean contains salt?
-Experiment 2: Egg in salt water vs. fresh water
-Create a VENN diagram comparing salt water to fresh water
Beaches and Coastlines
1. Beach Bucket Scavenger Hunt: Students explore beach debris and sand
2. Drawing Organisms and Habitats: Students will draw animals found on the beach or near the coast and draw the habitat you would find them in.
3. Coral Reef Background Information
-create pop-up coral reef
-color the coral reef
Animals in the Ocean
1. Alien Adventure: Students explore the variety of animals found in the ocean while listening to a story.
2. Students will create a pull through window showing the different layers in the ocean and the animals that reside there.
3. Students will compare the sizes of many sea creatures.
4. Students will label a fish.
5. Webs and Chains
-Introduce sea food chain and pyramid and discuss.
-Students will create a food web using index cards and yarn
-Camouflage Game: Students will try to find fish throughout the room that may blend in to the surroundings.
-discuss shape and coloration
-complete the Undersea Hide and Seek worksheets
People and the Ocean
1. Discuss uses of the ocean to people. Make a chart.
2. Ocean in a Bottle: Students will explore what items mix with water and which would be considered pollution.
Braus, Judy (Editor). Ranger RickÕs Nature Scope: Diving into Oceans. Washington D.C.: National Wildlife Federation. 1992
Center for Marine Conservation. The Ocean Book. New York: Wiley. 1989
Education Center. Mailbox Primary. June-July, 1994:10-11
Fredericks, Anthony. Exploring the Oceans. Colorado: Fulcrum Resources. 1998
Ocean in a Bottle. http://www.eecs.umich.edu/mathscience/
Shackelford, Karen. Tails of the Sea. Texas: Lasting Lessons. 1995
Strang, Carl, Halversen, Catherine, and Hosoume, Kimi. On Sandy Shores. California: LHS Gems. 1996
Teacher Created Materials, Inc. Sea Animals. 1993
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 2:25:00 AM on Tuesday, December 1, 2015. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014