Horror of horrors! Club Med makes the scene at Grotto Beach, San Salvador, Bahamas. See other beautiful phenomena from the Bahamas.
Welcome to the Ocean
1. Introduce the oceans, provide background information
-Find and label the oceans on a map
-Paper plate activity showing the approximate size of the oceans
2. Salt Water Activities
-Experiment 1: How do we know that the ocean contains salt?
-Experiment 2: Egg in salt water vs. fresh water
-Create a VENN diagram comparing salt water to fresh water
Beaches and Coastlines
1. Beach Bucket Scavenger Hunt: Students explore beach debris and sand
2. Drawing Organisms and Habitats: Students will draw animals found on the beach or near the coast and draw the habitat you would find them in.
3. Coral Reef Background Information
-create pop-up coral reef
-color the coral reef
Animals in the Ocean
1. Alien Adventure: Students explore the variety of animals found in the ocean while listening to a story.
2. Students will create a pull through window showing the different layers in the ocean and the animals that reside there.
3. Students will compare the sizes of many sea creatures.
4. Students will label a fish.
5. Webs and Chains
-Introduce sea food chain and pyramid and discuss.
-Students will create a food web using index cards and yarn
-Camouflage Game: Students will try to find fish throughout the room that may blend in to the surroundings.
-discuss shape and coloration
-complete the Undersea Hide and Seek worksheets
People and the Ocean
1. Discuss uses of the ocean to people. Make a chart.
2. Ocean in a Bottle: Students will explore what items mix with water and which would be considered pollution.
Braus, Judy (Editor). Ranger RickÕs Nature Scope: Diving into Oceans. Washington D.C.: National Wildlife Federation. 1992
Center for Marine Conservation. The Ocean Book. New York: Wiley. 1989
Education Center. Mailbox Primary. June-July, 1994:10-11
Fredericks, Anthony. Exploring the Oceans. Colorado: Fulcrum Resources. 1998
Ocean in a Bottle. http://www.eecs.umich.edu/mathscience/
Shackelford, Karen. Tails of the Sea. Texas: Lasting Lessons. 1995
Strang, Carl, Halversen, Catherine, and Hosoume, Kimi. On Sandy Shores. California: LHS Gems. 1996
Teacher Created Materials, Inc. Sea Animals. 1993
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 4:37:26 PM on Saturday, July 30, 2016. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014