The views are spectacular at the wall break, 25 m deep, San Salvador, Bahamas.
II. Biological Information about Poison Frogs
1. Genus Dendrobates
2. Genus Colostethus
3. Genus Phyllobates
ex. Phyllobates terribilis
B. Physical Characteristics
C. Habitat and Geographical Distribution
D. Reproductive Behavior
E. Life Cycle
F. Role in the Ecosystem
III. Toxicity of Poison Frogs
A. Basis of Toxicity
C. Exposure Pathways
D. Effects of toxins
E. Levels of Toxicity in Captivity
IV. Human Uses
A. Native Tribes' Uses of Frogs
B.Modern Uses in Medicine
1. Bainbrigde, Jr., S. S. "Frogs that Sweat- not bullets, but a poison for darts." Smithsonian. Jan 1998. pp 70-71.
2. Daly, John W. and Meyers, Charles W. "Toxicity of Panamanian Poison Frogs (Dendrobates): Some Biological and Chemical Aspects." Science, New Series. Vol. 156, No. 3777. May 1967. pp 970-973.
3. Daly, John W., Meyers, Charles W., Warnick, Jordan E., and Alburquerque, Edison X. "Levels of Batrachotoxin and Lack of Sensitivity to its Action in Poison-Dart Frogs." Science, New Series. Vol. 208. No. 4450. pp 1383-1385.
4. Maxson, Linda R. and Meyers, Charles W. "Albumin Evolution in Tropical Poison Frogs (Dendrobatidae): A Preliminary Report." Biotropica. Vol. 17. No. 1. Mar. 1985. pp 50-56.
5. Myers, Charles W. and Daly, John W. "Dart-poison frogs." Scientific American. Feb. 1983. pp 120-130.
6. Summers, Kyle, and Clough, Mark E. "The evolution of coloration and toxicity in the poison frog family (Dendrobatidae)." Accessed via the web address http://studentresearch.wcp.miamioh.edu/VertebrateEvolution/dendrobatidevolution01.pdf Viewed Mar. 3, 2003.
7. Szeliestowski, William A. "Unpalatiability of the Poison Arrow Frog Dendrobates pumilio to the Clenid Spider Cupiennius Coccineus." Biotropica. Vol. 17, No. 4. Dec. 1985. pp 345-346.
8. Talgen, Theodore L. and Pough, Harvey F. "Prey Preference, Foraging Behavior, and Metabolic Characteristics of Frogs." American Naturalist. Vol. 122, No. 4. Oct. 1983. pp 509-520.
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 11:57:08 AM on Monday, June 25, 2018. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014