A bromeliad close-up!
A. Types of Starfish
II. Animal Kingdom
1. Asteroidea (Sea stars)
a. Arms connected to each other
b. Difficult to tell where central disk ends and arms begin.
2. Ophiuroidea (Brittle stars)
a. Distinct boundary between the arm and central disk
1. Shed enormous amounts of eggs and sperm into water
2. fertilization is external
1. after fertilization
2. grows into the starfish body
2. Skeletal spicules
B. Spiny skin
C. Vascular system
1. moves water in the body
1. Suction cups
2. Tiny tubes used for gliding and sliding
1. Can grow back if damaged
2. Some arms can create a new starfish
1. Ability to change color to hide from enemies
A. Shelled animals
1. Oysters, clams, sea urchins, barnacles, mussles, and other small animals.
B. Some eat other starfish
C. Eating process
1. Sneaks up and jumps on it and surrounds the shell.
a. Uses suction to pull apart the shell
b. Puts stomach into shell to eat the inside
1. Stomach moves back into starfish
1. Where to find starfish
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 7:13:01 PM on Sunday, September 24, 2017. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014