A green snake close-up, Hospital Pt, Panama.
Tropical Animal Project
Objective: Investigate the great diversity among organisms.
Investigate how organisms or populations may interact with one another through symbiotic relationships and how some species have become so adapted to each other that neither could survive with out the other.
1. Choose an animal that lives in a tropical area for your project i.e. the manatee or coral.
2. Write a report on the animal. Be sure to include how humans have impacted the animal i.e. habitat loss, pollution, over hunting of the species, if this species were removed from the ecosystem what would be the effect on the ecosystem, were is this animal found; what does this creature eat; where and how does this creature fit into the food chain. Is this animal endangered? If so, what is being done to save the animal? Describe your creature, what does it look like; what does it eat; how often does the animal reproduce?
3. Create a power point presentation for your report. Include pictures of the animal, the habitat, and a map of the area where the species is found.
4. Follow up this project with either a field trip to the Columbus Zoo, a Video Conference with the Columbus Zoo, or both.
Tropical Animal Project
You will be writing a report on a tropical animal. You may choose your animal from the books in the classroom, library or one of your own choosing. You will need to have at least three different resources. At least, one resource needs to be a book. Make sure that you answer the questions below. Remember to ask for help if you have a question. When you have completed your report you will create a power point presentation about your animal. In your power point presentation, include pictures of the animal, pictures of the habitat and map of area where the species is found.
1. What is the animal that you have chosen? Describe what the creature looks like.
2. Where is the habitat located for this creature?
3. Describe the habitat for this animal.
4. How have humans impacted this creature environment?
5. Does this creature have any symbiotic relationships with any other plants or animals? If yes, describe this relationship.
6. Where does this animal fit in on the food chain? Is this animal prey for other creatures? What does this animal eat?
7. Is the animal endangered? If yes, what is being done to protect the animal?
8. Include any other facts that you find interesting for the animal.
Checklist for Tropical Animal Report
1. Number of resources used. _____________________________
Number of books used. __________________________
2. Questions that were answered.
9. What is the animal that you have chosen? Describe what the creature looks like.
10. Where is the habitat located for this creature?
11. Describe the habitat for this animal.
12. How have humans impacted this creature environment?
13. Does this creature have any symbiotic relationships with any other plants or animals? If yes, describe this relationship.
14. Where does this animal fit in on the food chain? Is this animal prey for other creatures? What does this animal eat?
15. Is the animal endangered? If yes, what is being done to protect the animal?
16. Include any other facts that you find interesting for the animal.
3. Power Point Presentation.
Included Pictures of animal. ______________
Included Pictures of habitat. ______________
Included map of the area. ________________
Llewellyn, Douglas, Inquire Within, Implementig Inquiry-based Science Standards; Corwin Press, 2002
Wilcove, David E.; The Condor's Shadow, The Loss and Recovery of Wildlife in America; Anchor Books, NY 1999
Wilson, Edward O.; The Diversity of Life, W.W. Norton & Company; NY, 1999
Davidson, Osha Gray; The Enchanted Braid, Coming to tTerms with Nature on the Coral Reef; John Wiley & Sons, Inc., NY 1998
Return to Topic Menu
We also have a GUIDE for depositing articles, images, data, etc in your research folders.
Article complete. Click HERE to return to the Pre-Course Presentation Outline and Paper Posting Menu. Or, you can return to the course syllabus
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
It is 6:03:37 AM on Saturday, March 24, 2018. Last Update: Wednesday, May 7, 2014