Astronomy Links & Interesting Sites Beyond Planet Earth
The Hubble Deep Field personifies the mystery before us! We are seeing the universe as it was over 10 billion years ago!
Welcome! It is 6:06:01 AM on Saturday, March 24, 2018. This page has served 475102 globular clusters. Last Update: Friday, May 2, 2014.
Table of Contents
Interesting Web Pages at this Site
Trop Ecosystem Courses
Weather Sites (Maps, Forecasts, Satellite Imagery, Satellite Movies, Hurricanes, Severe Weather, Computer Models, Radar, etc)
Astronomy Instructional Materials
The Astronomy Picture of the Day. Each day, a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
Our Solar System
How many planetary systems are in this massive spiral galaxy?
Planet Earth & Plate Tectonics
The plate tectonic images and movies come from Dr. Steven Schafersman's excellent Plate Tectonics site. Please visit the site for a much more complete treatment of plate tectonics.
Meteors: What They Are with Focus on the Leonid Meteor Shower
US Naval Observatory
US Naval Observatory- Astronomical Applications computes, from fundamental astronomical reference data, the position, brightness, and other observable characteristics of celestial bodies, as well as the circumstances of astronomical phenomena.
An animated gif of solar system planetary motion in one earth year. From Ed Stephan's Excellent Animation Web Page
Our Sun--Quicktime Movies of Eclipses and Solar Activity
A fantastic GOES 10 satellite loop (animated gif) of the Feb. 26, 1998 Solar Eclipse! (From GOES Hot Stuff.)
Solar physics on the web- This page lists web sites that contain information on the Sun. The Solar Data Analysis Center at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland USA. The Exploration of the Earth's Magnetosphere- NASA presents a detailed survey of 40 yrs of studies and discoveries. Global Warming: Man- or Sun-made? A Primer on the Space Environment- Our Star, Our Sun (NOAA) SUN-CENTERED PHYSICS The Sun as an X-ray source The Aurora Page:Information, links and images about the "Northern Lights". The Electromagnetic Spectrum An Interview with Sol by Robert J. Nemiroff Solar Physics The Education and Public Outreach Page of the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) Todays Space Weather!! (From NOAA--Check out the Latest Weather on the Sun!) Sun The Education and Public Outreach Page of the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)
There is quite a bit of interest in sundials around the world. So,..I thought I'd start a new Sundial Section!
Sundials on the Internet Sundial site of Frans Maes
Space Cowboy Weather--Just what is our sun up to?
Check out these WWW sources! These Solar sites will allow you to closely coordinate your telescope observations with day-to-day solar activity. Amazing stuff!
- Space Weather Now
- Today's Space Weather
- Lund Space Weather Center
- Space Weather Links and Resources
- NASA Spacelink Hot Topics
- The Spacewatch Project
- SOHO--THE SOLAR AND HELIOSPHERIC OBSERVATORY
- Space Weather Today
- Rice University--Space Weather Resources
- Welcome to the Aurora Page
Movies of the Sun!
- A Quicktime Movie ~ 2 MB of the Suns Lower Corona-From the Stanford Solar Center. This site presents a collection of fun educational activities based on Solar Oscillations Investigation (SOI) and Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) data. A Fantastic SITE!!
- An amazing Quicktime movie of the sun and some spectacular solar prominences! From NASA
- An amazing animation of A Twisted Solar Eruptive Prominence. From Astronomy Picture of the Day.
- A comet hurls itself into the dynamic atmosphere of the sun! Note the incredible solar prominences that sometimes extend outward for millions of miles.
- The sun's surface is an active place. Look at these solar storms hurl "sun stuff" into outer space!
- Fred's Excellent Eclipse Movie Complete with the OO's and Ah's ~15MB! Quicktime!
- Eclipse MPEG Movie~1.5 MB Oct 24, 1995 by the Japanese Yohkoh ("Sunbeam") Soft X-ray Telescope (SXT) covering the period when the path of totality on the earth's surface was sweeping eastward from Myanmar across Thailand and Cambodia.
- Fred Espenak of NASA Goddard Space Flight Center caught this Earth-Based Imagery~925 K Quicktime Movie of the Oct '95 Eclipse in India.
- An amazing Quicktime movie of a Florida coastal sunset.
Supernova & Black Holes
Worm Holes--Loop "holes"around the laws of physics!
Black Holes and Quasars-Quicktime Movies
Our Milky Way and Beyond
The Amazing Long View--The possibilities are endless!
Fantastic MPEG Movies From Hubble Space Telescope Public Pictures
Specific Info on Constellations-Includes stars, messier objects, and mythological background Read Jen and Ricks Writings on Constellations!
An animated gif of celestial motion as observed from the earth. From Ed Stephan's Excellent Animation Web Page
Aboriginal & Ancient Star Knowledge
Easter Island Mysteries!
The Rest of the Astro Links
--Check Out Episode 1 AND the Latest Preview "Menace."of Star Wars!! Also, check out this quicktime movie of Darth Vader when he was seriously disturbed! Of course, things wouldn't be complete without Jabba!
WEATHER & EARTH SCIENCE RESOURCES
OTHER ACADEMIC COURSES, STUDENT RESEARCH, OTHER STUFF
TEACHING TOOLS & OTHER STUFF
Any mail, comments or suggestions? You can Add to my Guestbook ,View the Guestbook or e-mail me privately at HaysC@miamioh.edu.
Thanks for stopping by, Hays.