Draft 1: The Miami Image and Self-Perception: Western vs. Main Campus
This topic submitted by Bethany Leeman, Maryjane Bellock, Katie Meredith, Kendra Baird, Laurie Stone (email@example.com) at 11:49 am on 9/9/00. Additions were last made on Wednesday, May 7, 2014. Section: Cummins
Question: Do the students at Miami feel that there is a Miami image? What is their self image on their own scale (1-10)? Is there a difference between the self perceptions of Western students vs Main Campus students?
Predictions: We predict that most students believe that there is a Miami image. We believe that Main Campus students have a lower self image than those on Western Campus. We also predict that males will have an overall higher self image than females.
Proposal: Surveys will be distributed including the following:
(1) rank the following pictures in beauty 1-10 (2) rank yourself in comparison to the extablished scale (3) define the Miami image in 3 words (4) do you believe you fit this image?
In addition we will ask them if they are from Western or Main Campus, male or female.
Expectations: We expect to find that Miami's overall self image closely correlates with social pressures that lead to problems (ie. eating disorders and depression).
1. Managing Beauty ñ Products and People (Journal of Product & Brand Management, Volume: 03, Issue: 3, September 04, 1994, pp. 27-38 ) Lynn, Langmeyer; Matthew, Shank
2. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (European Journal of Cancer, Volume: 31A, November, 1995, pp. S295 ) Batchelor, D.M.; Middelkoop, M.
3. Eating disorders as coping strategies: a critique (European Eating Disorders Review, Volume: 6, Issue: 4, December 1998, pp. 229 - 237 ) Troop, Nicholas A.
4. Do Positive Self-Perceptions Have a "Dark Side"? Examination of the Link between Perceptual Bias and Aggression (Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Volume: 28, Issue: 4, August 1, 2000, pp. 327-337 ) David, Corinne F.; Kistner, Janet A.
5. Body Dissatisfaction as a Mediator of the Relationship between Dietary Restraint and Bulimic Eating Patterns (Appetite, Volume: 29, Issue: 1, August, 1997, pp. 43 - 54 ) RICCIARDELLI, LINA A.; TATE, DORIS ; WILLIAMS, ROBERT J.
Return to the Topic Menu
Here is a list of responses that have been posted to this Study...
IMPORTANT: Press the Browser Reload button to view the latest contribution.
- the image (9/25/00) [ Contributor: dan kostka-Section: cummins ]
- THANKS EVERYONE!!! (9/21/00) [ Contributor: Laurie Stone-Section: Cummins ]
- I think (9/19/00) [ Contributor: Jessica Miller-Section: myers ]
- Sounds good, some questions (9/18/00) [ Contributor: Melissa Woehr-Section: Campbell ]
- Interesting (9/17/00) [ Contributor: Erik Fogt-Section: Cummins ]
- Just wondering (9/16/00) [ Contributor: Emily Savage-Section: Myers ]
- i totally agree (9/14/00) [ Contributor: lauren hoffmann-Section: cummins ]
- Hello miami image people. (9/14/00) [ Contributor: -Section: Cummins ]
- very good idea (9/14/00) [ Contributor: Sean Boda-Section: Cummins ]
- great! (9/14/00) [ Contributor: Julie H., Charles A., Meghan O., Jennifer W., Andrzej C.-Section: Campbell ]
- From a Main-campuser (9/13/00) [ Contributor: Renee Botens-Section: Myers ]
- i wonder.... (9/13/00) [ Contributor: sean clark-Section: myers ]
- the miami image... (9/13/00) [ Contributor: bethany, maryjane,kendra, katie, and laurie-Section: Cummins ]
- standards? (9/13/00) [ Contributor: Kori Smith-Section: Myers ]
- Wow, the results... (9/12/00) [ Contributor: Veronica Arnold-Section: Myers ]
- Nice project idea! (9/12/00) [ Contributor: Beth Price-Section: Myers ]
- The Maimi Image (9/12/00) [ Contributor: Lori Mikesell-Section: Myers ]
- Stereotypes (9/12/00) [ Contributor: Shanna Shaw-Section: Cummins ]
- interesting (9/11/00) [ Contributor: Alexis Evans-Section: Cummins ]
- "miami image" (9/11/00) [ Contributor: nicole nichols-Section: cummins ]
- Mmmm... (9/10/00) [ Contributor: Jennifer Taylor-Section: Cummins ]
- Image Response (9/10/00) [ Contributor: Rachel Wray-Section: Cummins ]
- (9/10/00) [ Contributor: Brett Ruttenberg-Section: Cummins ]
Respond to this Submission!
IMPORTANT: For each Response, make sure the title of the response is different than previous titles shown above!
Article complete. Click HERE
to return to the Natural Systems Menu.
Visit the rest of the site!